Forrest defeats Page 4-0 to advance

Wednesday, October 25, 2006
Photo by Anthony S. Puca In spite of a chilly rain, the Forrest Lady Rockets soccer team celebrate a 4-0 win over Page.

Not even a Scottish Haar could stop the Lady Rockets soccer team in their quest for a place in the regional tournament and the Forrest School record books. As the cold mist and fog enveloped the pitch at Middle Tennessee Christian School, the Lady Rockets stormed to an easy four nil victory over the Page Lady Patriots in what was a total team effort. The pre-game Rocket chant of, "All for one and one for all" rang true the entire night as Coach Larry Miller's team set the school's single season mark for victories and secured a spot in the regional tournament. More importantly to the 10-1-1 Lady Rocket team is the chance for redemption in the district championship game against the 10-1-1 first place Spring Hill Lady Raiders who defeated the Lady Rockets for their only loss in a hard fought 2-0 game earlier in the year.

The two teams seemed evenly matched early on as they felt one another out for the first five minutes of the match with play mired in the midfield area. Forrest began to surge as they pushed the ball forward into Page's end of the field and missed on two scoring chances. Just as the Lady Raiders looked as if they would move the action towards the Forrest end, defender Brianda Elmore cleared the ball to Taylour Allen who pushed forward to Heather Collins, who then made a slick pass to freshman Anna Wiser, who finished the play with a perfect shot pass the Lady Raider goalkeeper and the score was 1-0 at 29:05 minute mark.

As the weather grew grimmer, Page's hopes of advancing grew dimmer when just two minutes after the first score, Forrest scored again on another Wiser goal that was set up by running mate Heather Collins' ability to beat the Page defense and pass Wiser the ball in open space. Wiser did not waste the opportunity as she easily beat the Page keeper with a curling shot into the left side of the net. A 2-0 score on a night like this was huge for Forrest, especially since they were battling the wind in their face the first half.

Page's best scoring chance of the night came on an indirect kick from Kelsey Giddens from the left side, just outside the box. Giddens struck the ball beautifully and it seemed the shot would find the mark in the net, but Kensie "The Stonewall" McKee would have none of it as she held her ground and stoned the Page scoring opportunity.

Coach Miller sent in the second wave to spell the starters and they played exactly to level of their first team comrades in this total team effort. Senior Tabitha Morse was all over the field; pushing the ball forward, marking beautifully on defense, and eventually getting her foot into the scoring action when she assisted on sophomore midfielder Amanda Evans' goal at the 3:20 mark of the first half. The 3-0 first half score would turn out to be an insurmountable task for Page to overcome on this miserable and blustery night.

The second half saw Page facing the ever growing wind and a Forrest team that had no intentions of letting them back in the game. Coach Miller implored his troops at halftime "to not let up and bring this game home". The Lady Rockets keep the pressure on and every time the Lady Patriots tried to clear the ball or move forward, Forrest defenders and midfielders stymied their movement. When Taylour Allen scored on a penalty kick midway through the second half to make the score 4-0, the Lady Rockets smelled the victory and the Lady Patriots knew the game was over.

Coach Miller and his team overcame the severe weather and a Page team that came into the game with hopes of moving on to the regionals by playing a team game and not looking ahead to their anticipated match up with Spring Hill. The Lady Rockets will already go down as the best girls soccer team ever at Forrest, but they want more, they want the coveted state championship!