FMS girls soar above Rockvale

Friday, December 15, 2006
Photo by Anthony S. Puca FMS post player Missie Minor positioning for a rebound.

A "Star Wars" confrontation took place in Chapel Hill Monday night as two Rocket squads fought for terrestrial dominance. The (6-2) Rockvale Rockets came up Route 99 to face an FMS Rocket squad that was not in the mood for pleasantries after their disappointing third place finish in last week's World Tournament. The FMS boys were also not very happy with their second place finish and were seeking redemption against the (7-1) Rockvale male Rockets.

The FMS Rockets blasted off the launching pad and fired their after burners right from liftoff of their contest as they cruised to an 11-2 first quarter lead with a smothering defensive effort. The FMS squad stole the ball four times in the opening stanza and would not let the girls from Rockvale move one foot without converging on them.

The second quarter was no different as the hometown Rockets had three more picks and opened up an insurmountable fifteen point lead by halftime. The first half effort was a balanced one as Kim Rochester scored 8 and the Curtner twins had 4 each and led the defensive offensive.

Three minutes into the third quarter was enough for FMS Head Coach Sherry Jones as she emptied her bench when the Rockets drained the fuel tanks of the Rockvale squad and put the game away for good. The defensive effort of the Lady Rockets from Chapel Hill was just too much for Rockvale and the third quarter ended with FMS leading 29-15.

Coach Jones got some great reserve play in the fourth stanza from guard Megan Gower who showed some grit and toughness in leading the team and also great low post play from Andrea Jordan who had some nice put backs under the rim. The FMS girls had an easy splashdown and a nice bounce back victory as they won the game 39-22.

In the second game of the night, the FMS Rockets fizzled off the launce pad as head Coach Todd Garrison stated," We did not come out ready to play. I did not have one starter that was 100% ready to play." The Chapel Hill squad fell behind early on some bad ball handling and poor defense against a taller Rockvale squad. Luckily for the home team, the Rockvale boys did not come out with their "A" game either as they missed many easy shots. A 9-6 Rockvale lead at the end of the quarter kept FMS in the game.

The Forrest bench brigade, led by Tanner Wesson and Leland Brothers brought the Rockets back in the second quarter and after the game Coach Garrison praised the two when he stated, "I got some great work from Wesson and Brothers off the bench and they kept us in the game." Dane Leonard also helped the Rocket's bounce back as he played tough underneath and Corey Bishop came to life, burying a three bomb late to get FMS close. Wesson hit a key jumper with just seconds remaining in the half to pull the FMS Rockets even at 17.

The third quarter was a back and forth defensive battle as both teams tightened up their game plan and scoring was at a minimum. Each team scored just six points in the quarter and the final stanza began with the two Rocket squads tied at 23.

The Rockvale Rockets finally pulled away from the FMS crew in the fourth quarter as they opened up as much as a seven point lead late in the game. The hometown Rockets tried in vain to come back as they never gave up and actually had a chance to tie at the final buzzer, but it was not to be on this night as they fell 34-31 and moved to (7-5) on the season. FMS was led in scoring by Leonard who had 8 points and Bishop who scored 7. After the game Coach Garrison was asked about the upcoming match-up with a tough E.A. Cox team and he said, "They are one of the toughest teams we play and hopefully we can bounce back.'