"It was fried to the point that the only way you could tell it was a bird was because it had feathers," Lewisburg Electric System General Manager Richard Turner said Tuesday morning when asked what species of bird made its last landing on wires carrying 13,000 volts.
"It took out probably close to 2,000 meters," Turner said, agreeing with an estimate that 2.5 residents are served by each meter. Wal-Mart, Food Lion and residents in that part of town were affected. Central Park (old Connelly School), the public housing projects and a portion of Lewisburg's public square, including Bingham Engineering were also affected.
Marshall Medical Center is on a different circuit and it has its own power generator.
Story continued in this week's edition of the Tribune.