Fire damages apartment

Friday, November 30, 2007

A grease fire damaged an apartment at the Mansard House Apartments Wednes-day about 7:15 pm. A third-floor resident left her apartment thinking the stove was off, but it was still on and a grease fire broke out.

The damage was confined to the apartment where the fire started, according to Lewisburg Fire Chief Larry Williams. The unit suffered extensive fire, heat, smoke and water damage.

On the scene were 19 Lewisburg firemen, three Farmington firemen, two Mooresville firemen, three EMS units, units from the Lewisburg Police Depart-ment, Lewisburg Electric, and the Emergency Management Agency.

Two firefighters became overheated and were treated at the scene by EMS personnel. Both were later allowed to return to work.

All residents were temporarily evacuated from the building. There were no injuries.

Ostella FCE

holds buffet

The Ostella Family and Community Education Club met Nov. 13 at the home of Pete and Debbie Tolley. Club members enjoyed a holiday buffet. Debbie Tolley spoke on "Food Safety Does Not Take a Holiday."

The Ostella FCE Christmas Party will be held at the home of Ed and Ellie Page on Wednesday, Dec. 12.

Hartley signs

delayed entry

Christopher M. Hartley, of Chapel Hill, has joined the Army under the Delayed Entry Program, which gives him the opportunity to delay entering active duty for up to one year. Christopher qualified for a $6,000 enlistment bonus. He reported to Fort Knox, Ky. for basic training this month.

Christopher is the son of Kimberly I. Lewis and William T. Hartley, both of Chapel Hill.