[Nameplate] Fog/Mist ~ 72°F  
High: 86°F ~ Low: 66°F
Thursday, July 24, 2014

'Prayin' time' FHS staff relieved bomb threat proves baseless

Thursday, December 20, 2007

(Photo)
Photo by Clint Confehr Students at Forrest High School were evacuated Friday following the discovery of a note that claimed there was a bomb at the school.
By Clint Confehr

& Dale James

Marshall Tribune

CHAPEL HILL -- Law enforcement officials have "a couple of names" of suspects to pursue in last week's bomb threat at Forrest High School.

Classes at the school were suspended Friday and two home basketball games with Community High School postponed until next year after a threatening note was found in a boys' bathroom at the school, school officials said.

"There was a bomb threat in the note," said Nancy Aldridge, interim director of schools. "All it said, essentially, was there was a bomb in the building."

The pencil-written note was found at about 10:30 a.m. and taken to the school office. Within an hour about 850 students and faculty had been moved to the new gymnasium, buses were taking children home and the Friday night games were suspended.

"If you send them home from school, you don't play the game because it sends the message that sports are more important than school," FHS Principal Mike Bishop said, adding the decision was his and wasn't based on school board policy.

Forrest Assistant Principal Rocky Bowden said, "We never took it seriously that there was a bomb, but you can't take a chance. You have to do what you have to do."

Chapel Hill Police Chief Jackie King and the Marshall County Sheriff's Department have been taking the lead in the investigation.

Bishop confirmed that there had been rumors earlier in the week implying that FHS "would be shot up" on Friday. But police tracking down leads concluded the talk was without merit...Pick up a copy of December 19th edition for full coverage.