Thomason leads Tigers to 13-12 comeback

Friday, March 21, 2008

Aaron Thomason had the game of his life Tuesday, leading the Lewisburg Middle School Tigers to an exciting 13-12 comeback victory over the Forrest Middle School Rockets at the Jonathon D. Hollingsworth Babe Ruth Park in Lewisburg.

Thomason was a one man wrecking crew, going 2-4 with a homerun and five RBI's and gaining the win on the mound, working four innings in relief of starter Brandon Bush.

Thomason's three-run blast over the left field fence was the first of his career and tied the game at ten apiece in the fifth inning. His sixth inning bases loaded two run single tied the game at twelve after Forrest had regained the lead in the top half of the frame.

An elated and tired Thomason said after the contest, "The home run was sweet, it was the first one I ever hit in a game, but the win was more important because our team never quit, we never gave up."

First year LMS head coach Robby Giles said of Thomason's performance, "Just outstanding, Aaron has been a real clutch player all year. Great for him hitting the homerun, it could not have come at a better time."

The Rockets were playing their first game under Coach Ryan Inlow, who took over the reins from longtime coach Johnny Hill, who resigned his position Monday night.

The Rockets got on the board in the first inning on an RBI single to right by Zack Brewer that scored Ryan Daughrity from third.

LMS got two runs in the bottom of the second on RBI's by Cody Vernon and LaCord Crawford for a 2-1 lead.

In the second inning, Ralph James reached first on a strikeout dropped ball, stole second and scored when Dillon Dowler lashed a single to right to tie the game at two.

Brewer came in for Daughrity to pitch for FMS in the third and retired the Tigers without any runs.

Forrest broke through in a big way in the bottom of the frame, scoring five runs on five hits. Zack Horvath led off with a single, stole second and scored on Daughrity's ground rule double to left center. Daughrity was driven home when Brewer ripped a double down the left field line.

A throwing error on the play allowed Brewer to score, Morgan Reese was beaned by Bush, and Richard Hardin drove home Reese with a double to center to make it 6-2. Hardin scored on an infield single by Brooks Lamb for a 7-2 lead.

LMS got one run back in the bottom of the inning on an RBI single by Zack Kirby, with Bush scoring on the hit.

Thomason came to the mound in the fourth and allowed two runs on RBI's by Daughrity and Reese for a 9-3 FMS margin.

LMS began their comeback in the bottom of the fourth when they loaded the sacks and Dakota Fagan scored on a wild pitch. Vernon knocked home the second run on a fielder's choice, and Chris Chapman made it 9-6 on an RBI single to right.

Forrest got their tenth run in the fifth when James scored on an RBI fielder's choice by Paten Pruitt.

The wind was blowing and gusting up to forty miles an hour, straight out to left the entire day and it was only a matter of time before a big blast came.

Kirby started the fifth inning rally for LMS with a one out single and an FMS error put runners on first and second. Fagan walked to load the bases and J.P. Reese knocked home Kirby on a fielder's choice to make it 10-7.

Thomason stepped to the plate and blasted a two-one pitch deep over the left field fence to tie the game and make the home crowd crazy with excitement. LMS re-loaded the bases on three straight walks, but Brewer got out of further trouble when he got a line drive out to third to end the inning.

The Rockets did not quit after the big bomb as they came up and scored two runs in the top of the sixth on a two run single by Horvath to make it 12-10.

LMS started the seventh with Kirby reaching on an error, Jesse Kilpatrick followed with a single to left field, and Fagan walked to load the bases with no outs. Brewer got a two out strikeout and then Thomason delivered a laser to right that plated Kirby and Kilpatrick. Vernon came up and got the game winning hit with a single up the middle to make it 13-12.

Thomason went to full 'junk' in the bottom of the seventh, throwing the nasty curve ball in retiring three straight FMS hitters to end the wild game.

"We never gave up", said Giles. "We kept our heads on our shoulders and fought back. We made some mistakes, but hopefully we learned from them. We still have four games left on the schedule, but I think this will be a big boost going into the conference tournament next week."