Rockets suffer second-quarter shutdown

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Forrest Rockets, coming off a big 72-57 opening night Hall of Fame game win at Clarkrange could not sustain the winning momentum, falling to Tullahoma on Friday night.

The Rockets led after the first quarter and trailed by just one point at the half before suffering a second half meltdown to lose big 72-49.

Tullahoma's Tryston Horton scorched the Rockets for 38 points in the contest.

Forrest fell behind 4-0 before Ferris Perkins muscled in a bucket down low and was fouled. The junior post player made the free throw to get the Rockets to within one at 4-3.

The Wildcats scored four straight to go up 8-3, but the Rockets came back on a three-pointer by Kyle Anglin to make it 8-6.

With the score 10-6, Colin Henson made a driving lay-up and after a Perkins blocked shot and bucket at the other end to tie the game, the tide began to change in the Rockets' favor.

Perkins scored in the paint and hit another free throw for a 13-10 Forrest lead. Corey Bishop came off the bench for FHS head coach Davy McClaran and quickly nailed a long three to put Forrest up 16-10, forcing a Wildcat timeout with 2:08 remaining in the first quarter.

Horton scored for Tullahoma before Anglin returned the favor for an 18-12 Forrest lead. Horton scored on a three-point play of his own in the paint just before the quarter ended for an 18-14 Rocket lead.

Anglin scored an easy bucket on a beautiful inbound pass to start the second quarter, giving the Rockets a 20-14 lead.

The Wildcats scored nine straight to go up 23-20.

Preston Pratt got his only field goal of the game to make it 23-22 and Kyle Griffy scored next to put the Rockets up 24-23.

The scoring went back and forth for the remainder of the quarter, but a late bucket by J.D. Crabtree made it 33-32 Wildcats at the half.

That would be as close as the Rockets would get the rest of the night.

Tullahoma opened up the third period by going on a referee aided 18 point run to open up a huge 53-32 lead. The foul scale was tipped 10-1 in the Wildcats favor, causing McClaran to get called for a technical foul when he could not take the referee's inconsistency any longer.

The lead was built to twenty by the Wildcats at quarter's end and the fourth period was no different with the Rockets falling by 23 points, 72-49.

Perkins led the Rockets with 14 points; Anglin had 11, the freshman Bishop scored 10, Parker Holton had a half dozen, Pratt and Kyle Gugger each scored 3 points, and Griffy had 2.