Assault sends man to hospital

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

An assault in Lewisburg sent a Belfast man to Marshall Medical Center and later to Vanderbilt Hospital over the weekend, according to a report on file at the Lewisburg Police Department.

Officer Steve Sanders Jr. went to the Emergency Room at MMC about 4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 13, to interview Richard W. Shelton, 26, of Fayetteville Hwy, Belfast.

According to Sanders' report, Shelton told the officer that he had gone to visit his ex-girlfriend, with whom he has a child, and her new boyfriend, on Friday evening.

"Shelton stated that he left the residence (on Second Avenue) at approximately 3 a.m. on December 13," Sanders reported. "When Mr. Shelton walked out the door his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend struck him in the left side of the head with a glass liquor bottle. The blow knocked Mr. Shelton out...(and)...he laid on the porch for approximately 45 minutes, then walked home."

Readers will remember that the temperature was below freezing at this time, and there was still ice and snow on the ground from Thursday night's storm.

Shelton finally asked his cousin, Jennie Dobbyn, for a ride to the ER Saturday afternoon.

"He didn't know how bad it was," Dobbyn said in a telephone conversation with The Tribune. "He just knew he had a really bad headache." She thought Shelton was to be released from Vanderbilt Monday afternoon. "They don't keep you long nowadays, especially if you don't have insurance," she said.

According to Sanders' report of his visit to the ER, Sgt. Jerry Broyles took photographs of the injury. "Mr. Shelton had a large lump and a laceration on the left side of his head. Doctors at the ER stated that Mr. Shelton had a fractured skull and needed to be transported to Vanderbilt and may possibly need to be repaired by surgery."

Sanders wrote, "I advised Mr. Shelton of his legal right to attempt to file charges and also also had Mr. Shelton fill out a statement describing the events that had taken place."

Sanders also contacted the alleged assailant, a 20-year-old Pulaski resident, who said "he would come to the Lewisburg Police Department on Sunday to fill out a statement."