FMS girls finish fourth in tournament

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The host FMS Lady Rockets won their first round game versus Liberty at the World Tournament, but could not sustain the momentum of that victory, falling in succession to MTCS and Cascade to finish fourth.

The going was tough from the beginning for Forrest versus a Liberty team the Lady Rockets had crushed 41-10 on December 4.

Liberty showed up to battle the hosts to the end in the Wednesday night battle.

There was a lot of action, but no scoring early before Scarlet Roberson stole the ball and fed Hannah Phifer for a bucket, finally getting the Lady Rockets in plus column.

Liberty's Olivia Calvert scored to tie the game at two apiece until the squads went into another mini-point drought. Candace Daughrity made it 4-2 on an out of bounds play under the Forrest basket to make it 4-2.

The Lady Pats scored again to tie the game and went ahead 5-4 on one of two from the free throw line by Calvert after a technical foul on Forrest.

The two teams would take the 5-4 score into the second quarter.

Roberson began the second quarter, swiping the ball from Liberty and going all the way for the lay-in and 6-5 Lady Rocket lead. Liberty took a timeout at the 5:04 mark to try to get a play worked out and made it work, scoring to go ahead again.

The Lady Patriots made it 9-6 before Phifer took a pass from Roberson down low for a kiss off the glass and good. Mandi Conley put the Lady Rockets ahead at 10-9 on a steal and score.

Calvert scored to see saw the lead back to Liberty at 11-10 before Daughrity scored four straight to give the Lady Rockets a 14-11 halftime lead.

Liberty missed two foul shots to begin the third quarter and Roberson tallied one of two from the charity stripe to make 15-11. Phifer extended the lead to 17-11 with a pull-up jumper, before Hannah Calvert scored to cut the margin back to four.

After Liberty netted a basket the Lady Rockets went on the crucial game breaking streak, putting eight straight points on the board to lead 25-13 after three periods. Roberson was the key player in the run, scoring four points, all on rebounds and put-backs in the paint.

Liberty cut the lead to ten to begin the fourth quarter, but Roberson scored the next four points to open up a 29-15 lead and they were never threatened again, coming away with the 29-21 win.

Their reward was a second round match-up with undefeated MTCS on Friday afternoon.

The talented MTCS Lady Cougars, undefeated at 15-0 coming into the contest versus Forrest, took it to the Lady Rockets from the start, jumping to 9-0 lead before two free throws Phifer broke the scoring freeze with 1:32 left in the period.

The Lady Cougars scored seven more points to go up 16-2 before Daughrity scored to end the quarter withy the lady Rockets in a deep 16-4 hole.

Things did not get any better in the second quarter for the Lady Rockets as MTCS scored the first thirteen points to build an insurmountable 29-4 lead.

The half ended with the Murfreesboro private school, leading 34-9.

There was no comeback for the Lady Rockets in the second half for Forrest and they fell by twenty-six, 51-25.