Rockets ramble over Cougars for big district win

Friday, January 9, 2009
Colin Henson scores off of a third-quarter Cougar turnover.

The Forrest Rockets climbed back into the District 9A race with a hard earned 44-40 win at home Tuesday night over the MTCS Cougars.

Forrest (5-10, 2-3) is now just one game back of both MTCS and Community for the all-important fourth spot in the district standings. The top four teams will host a first round game, beginning the last week of February.

"A win at any point in time is a good win," said Forrest head coach Davy McClaran after the Rockets broke a three-game losing steak with the victory.

"Our defense won the game for us tonight," McClaran added. "We were solid on "D" and that was the key to holding them to under forty points. The last three practices we worked on the last three minutes of the ballgame and it paid off tonight. We should not have allowed it to get to that point, but we executed when we had to."

Kyle Gugger got the Rockets going on the first possession of the ballgame with a bucket in the paint and proceeded to score three more points to just two for MTCS and a 5-2 lead.

The Cougars cut it to 5-4, Colin Henson made it 7-4 with a jumper, and MTCS made a one-point game again at 7-6.

Preston Pratt scored five straight, first on a driving layup, followed by a three-pointer from the corner for a 12-6 Rocket lead.

After a tie-up on the floor the ball was a warded to the Rockets and Corey Bishop made them pay with another three from the corner for a 15-6 FHS lead. That was the way the first quarter ended.

MTCS scored three straight to make it 15-9 before Ferris Perkins hit two free throws for a 17-9 lead.

With Forrest leading 19-14, Taylor Gentry banged home a three-pointer to stretch the lead to 22-14, but the Cougars responded by scoring the last seven points of the quarter and trailed by just one point 22-21 at the half.

Pratt opened the third quarter with a bucket and Gugger followed suit to make it 26-21.

MTCS would cut into the Forrest lead late in the period at 28-25 Perkins and Henson scored on back to back trips down the floor for a seven point 32-25 lead. The third period ended with the Rockets in front 37-29.

MTCS scored the first five points in the fourth quarter to get to within three points at 37-34 with 6:47 left in the game.

The Rocket defense picked up the pace, holding MTCS scoreless over the next three minutes and led 40-34 with just under four minutes remaining in the game.

A Kyle Anglin jumper, followed by a Perkins bucket in the paint made the score 42-36. MTCS got four points off of Rocket turnovers to inch even closer at 42-40 with 1:15 left in the contest.

The Rockets missed the front end of a one and one with 1:13 and MTCS called timeout with 50.6 left.

The Cougars looked like they would tie the ballgame, but the next shot spun in and out with FHS being fouled on the rebound.