Spring Place Road fire extinguished

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Lewisburg Fire Department put out a fire in the attic of a house on Spring Place Road last Thursday night. According to Capt. Larry Baxter's report, "smoke was coming from both eaves. Fire was in attic...We vented, gained access, and extinguished the fire. A 10 x 10 area was burned."

Other agencies were also on the scene. The Lewisburg Electric System pulled the meter, and the Lewisburg Gas Department, the Emergency Medical Service, the Red Cross, and two units from the Police Department all responded to the fire at the house owned by Ricky Hargrove and occupied by Terry Holder.

On Friday, the Fire Department was called to two locations because of sprinkler system malfunctions.

Just before noon they had to go to the old International Comfort Products building where a 1 1/2 inch water pipe had frozen and burst, setting off the sprinkler system in an area now used as a warehouse.

Soon after that incident the fire department was called to China Wok restaurant on North Ellington Parkway where a sprinkler head in the kitchen was "going off for unknown reasons," according to Capt. William Lynch's report. "We cut off the Post Indicator Valve to shut the water off. We also advised everyone else in the complex (the Food Lions shopping center) that the sprinkler system was shut off."

China Wok's owner, Caleb Lee, says that by arriving so quickly to shut off the water the fire department saved his staff a lot of clean-up work. They had the kitchen dried out and were cooking again later that same day.

Lee says the sprinkler man came to fix the defective head and it was a "small thing."