911 call leads to arrests

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A 911 call in the early hours Sunday led to arrests and charges against both members of a Marshall County couple.

The communications center advised the Marshall County Sheriff's Department that the person who dialed 911 hung up the phone, but not before dispatch heard what could have been a domestic altercation in the background.

Deputies Tony Nichols and Layne Worsham went to the address on Spring Place Road, Lewisburg. Rebecca Smith, 40, told the deputies that she and Edward S. Trombley III, 47, had been quarreling and Trombley had taken her cell phone and digital camera because he was accusing her of cheating on him.

According to Nichol's report, "they kept arguing and she got the home phone to call the police and as she called 911 Edward took the phone away from her and kept yelling at her."

Nichols and Worsham arrested Trombley and charged him with domestic assault. Nichols notes, "Trombley was uncooperative and advised that he did not know why we were there or what was going on."

While Nichols was at the residence on Spring Place Road investigating the domestic dispute, he "observed a partially smoked marijuana cigarette and a plastic baggie containing remnants of marijuana in plain view on the coffee table. Rebecca Smith advised myself and Deputy Worsham that the marijuana belonged to her and that she smoked it to calm her nerves.

"I took the marijuana and baggie into custody for evidence," Nichols' report continues. "I obtained a warrant and returned and arrested Smith for simple possession."

Deputy Nichols, this time accompanied by Deputy Matt Owens, made yet another visit to the Spring Place Road address Sunday afternoon. On that occasion, they were escorting Trombley so that he could get his personal items, since he had been ordered to stay away from Smith.

Trombley got his coat from a closet and said the 10 $100 bills he had in the pocket were missing. Smith went to look and came back with two $100 bills she said she had found on the closet floor.

According to Nichols' report, the officers advised Smith "if she did take his money and it was proven in court that it would be a felony offence because it was over $500. At that exact moment, Smith said, 'I will give him his damn money back,' and reached into her bra and pulled out seven $100 bills."

Smith stated to the deputies that it was Trombley's money, but she had taken it because she had paid two of his electricity bills that were over $500 each and "she felt like he owed her that much."

Trombley "insisted that he had a total of $1,000 in his coat pocket and requested to file a report for the remaining $100," Nichols' report concluded.