30-year sentence imposed in drug sale case

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Lewisburg woman's children will be adults by the time she gets out of prison, according to the sentence imposed by Circuit Court Judge Robert Crigler last week.

Tiffany Tena Davis, 33, was sentenced to 30 years in prison. As a "career" offender, Davis must serve 60 percent of her sentence, or 18 years, before she is eligible for parole. This sentence does not start until Davis completes a previous sentence.

In April, a jury found Davis guilty on 13 counts of an 18-count indictment relating to eight sales of crack cocaine to confidential informants. In 2006 she pleaded guilty to selling cocaine on seven dates in 2005, and was sentenced to 16 years, of which she served 18 months before being allowed out on parole.

Also on June 2, Crigler accepted guilty pleas and imposed sentences last week on Michael J. Stinnett, Wesley David Cloud, Aureliano Baltazar, John Justin McCall, and Jeremy Lee Ross.

At Davis' trial, Assistant District Attorney Eddie Barnard spent two and a half days painstakingly building the case for the jury of six men and six women.

Forty-one witnesses -- including three confidential informants, agents of the 17th Judicial District Drug Task Force, and forensic chemists from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation -- testified about Davis' involvement in eight drug deals.

After the prosecution rested its case, Davis took the stand in her own defense and denied everything. She said it was not her voice on the phone agents recorded making deals to sell crack and it was not her who agents identified exchanging drugs for money.

"I do not sell crack cocaine," Davis asserted, although she admitted doing so in the past.

"You're saying they're all lying?" asked Barnard as he cross-examined her.

"Yes, sir," Davis answered. "If I was guilty I would not have got up here."

Davis, also known as "Tookie" or, as she spelled it, "Tokie," was on state probation at time of offenses for which she was on trial, but her probation was revoked on Aug. 5, 2009, due to the new charges, plus failure to report her arrest, failure to report to the probation office in March and April 2009, and a positive drug screen (marijuana and cocaine) in February 2009.

Davis was represented by court-appointed attorney Terry Hernando.