Obituary: Bobby William Sampson

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Bobby William Sampson, 76, of Lewisburg, devoted husband, daddy, preacher, farmer, and retired Kroger employee, died Thursday, Sept. 23, 2010, at Williamson Medical Center.

The Maury County native was the son of the late Arthur G. Sampson and Elsie McCord Sampson. He was a 1952 graduate of Columbia Central High School. He served in the United States Army from 1956 to 1958. Mr. Sampson was retired from Kroger where he had worked for 26 years. Currently he was preaching at Old Lasea Church of Christ where he had been for 14 years. Prior to that he was with Philadelphia Church of Christ for 23 years and Indian Creek Church of Christ in Hohenwald for six years. He was a life-long farmer and much loved and respected throughout the community.

He is survived by his wife of 45 years, Peggy Ring Sampson of Lewisburg; son, Richard (Kim) Sampson of Atlanta, Ga.; two daughters, Leigh Ann (Kenneth) McFarlen of Culleoka and Crystal (Royce) Tucker of Ardmore, Tenn. He was affectionately known as "Bubba" by his six grandchildren, Bailey Sampson, Caroline Sampson, Noah McFarlen, Kinsley McFarlen, Wesley Tucker, and Walker Tucker. He is also survived by brother James (Liz) Sampson of Marshville, Wisc.; and three sisters Sally (Harold) Chunn of Waverly, and Juanita Moore and Gwendolyn Sampson, both of Nashville.

He was preceded in death by sister, Ruby Hasty, and brother, Richard Sampson.

Funeral services were conducted Sunday at West Seventh Street Church of Christ with James Sampson, Richard Sampson and Kenneth McFarlen officiating. Burial followed in Morton Cemetery.

The pallbearers were Donovan Feenstra, Dean Duke, Steve Moore, David Brazelton, Jeff Walters, Joshua Sampson, Caleb Sampson and Don Sampson.

Honorary pallbearers were members of Old Lasea Church of Christ and Kroger employees. Memorials may be made to Old Lasea Church of Christ Building Fund, c/o James Kincaid, 1101 Kenny Nelson Road, Lewisburg, TN 37091.

Notes of sympathy may be sent to the family at

Oakes and Nichols Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.