While jury members were deliberating an arson case last week, Circuit Court Judge Robert Crigler arraigned a man who was indicted by the grand jury on March 23.
Thomas B. Beard, 25, of Poarch Hollow Road, was charged with child abuse after the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation made a direct presentment to the grand jury. Beard was arrested on a bench warrant while he was in the courthouse on another matter, and brought to Crigler's courtroom for arraignment.
The Public Defender's Office was appointed to represent Beard and his bond was set at $15,000.
Indictment does not mean a person is guilty. That's determined by a trial, or by a guilty plea.
Meanwhile, city and county crime reports reveal the following events.
Lewisburg Police Department Officer Russell Grubbs was dispatched to Sonic about 11 p.m. April 1 because a car had been sitting there for 30 minutes with lights on and the engine running. As a result of Grubbs' encounter with a couple that was passed out in the green Mustang, arrests were made.
* Holly Henning, 26, Tullahoma. Bond: $3,000; court date: May 2. Charges: Driving under the influence and simple possession of marijuana.
* Joseph Ghea, 27, Manchester. Bond: $6,000; court date: April 18. Charges: violation of an order of protection and public intoxication.
Thefts and vandalism reported
* A semi-truck transmission, worth $2,400, tools in a box, and some scrap metal, were taken from the old saw mill property on Cherry Corner Road, Cornersville. The owner found the items missing on March 28.
* An RV generator, an in-dash radio, a new sleeping bag and a fiberglass shovel, worth a total of $2,240, were taken from a camper parked on a property on John Barnes Road, Petersburg.
* Between 4:30 p.m. March 25 and noon March 30, someone vandalized the playground at the Head Start School on 2nd Avenue North. The Plexiglas window of an outbuilding was broken and the toys that were inside were thrown all over the yard, and most were damaged or destroyed. $800-worth of damage was done to the playground set and sand box as well.
* A Napa battery worth $60 was stolen from a 1987 Chevy Blazer that was at Pat Smith's car lot on Maple Street. The battery was last seen at 1 p.m. March 28.
* The door of an unoccupied home on Old Hwy 99 was pried open, but there was no sign of entry.
Arrested on 17th Judicial District Drug Task Force warrants
* Robert Wayne Jackson, 36, Franklin Avenue. Bond: $15,500; court date: April 26. Charges: driving on a revoked license and simple possession of crack cocaine.
Arrested and charged with domestic assault
* Reginald Kyvon Davis, 19, Hopkins Avenue. Bond: $3,000; court date: April 18. Additional charges: evading arrest, resisting arrest, and public intoxication.
Arrested and charged with driving under the influence
* Charlton A. Peter, 54, Oak Street. Bond: $1,000; court date: May 2. Additional charge: indecent exposure.
* William A. Dodson, 25, Verona Caney Road. Bond: $500; court date: April 11.
Arrested on a warrant for violation of the sex offender registry law (failure to timely report)
* Jessie Calvin Darnell, 64, Old Belfast Road. Bond: $3,000; court date: April 26.
Cited for shoplifting from Fred's
* Connie R. Dawson, 46, Culleoka. Court date: May 2.
Served at Marshall County Jail with an attachment for civil contempt from Lake County Juvenile Court
* Andrew L. Davis, 44, L & N Avenue. Bond: $5,700; court date: June 15.
Served with a violation of probation warrant at Marshall County Jail
* Steven C. King, 24, Wallace Thompson Road. Held without bond for court on April 6. King was also charged with evading arrest. A 17-year-old runaway male juvenile was found in King's residence and returned to state custody.
* Stephen R. Endsley, 18, Ruby Road. Held without bond for court on April 5.
Served with a failure to appear warrant at Marshall County Jail
* Lisa S. Hasty, 42, Martin Street. Bond: $1,000; court date: May 24.
Arrested on a warrant for failure to appear
* Rhonda Lynn Jackson, 39, Talley Road. Bond: $1,000; court date: April 12.
* Larry D. Reeves, 40, Thomas Street. Held without bond for the next scheduled court date.
Arrested on a warrant for violation of probation
* Keith J. Mitchell, 22, Woodlawn Avenue. Held without bond for court on April 5.
* Richard D. Mearse, 23, Pulaski. Held without bond for court on April 5.
Turned himself in on a warrant for violation of probation
* Terrance Carter, 39, College Street. Held without bond for court on April 5.
* Eric Blackman, 22, Nashville. Held without bond for court on March 29.
Served with a criminal summons for violation of probation
* Lisa Marie Sanders, 23, Belfast. Court date: April 18.
* Jason Proffitt, 29, 5th Avenue North. Court date: April 18.