FMS squads sweep Westwood in season opener

Friday, October 21, 2011
Seventh grade point guard Tamia Northcut (11) scores in the lane for the Lady Rockets, who beat Westwood 39-22 Monday night in Chapel Hill. Photos by Anthony S. Puca

It's hard to believe, but on Monday, hoops officially got underway in Marshall County as Forrest Middle School entertained Westwood and it turned out good for both the boys and girls in a sweep over their namesakes from Manchester.

The Lady Rockets jumped out early on Westwood, scoring the first ten points of the game before cruising home to a 39-22 win.

"The kids played well, the fever is in the air again," said FMS head coach Jeremy Jean. "When you jump out early like that, the kids relax and it makes it a whole lot easier."

Caitlyn Yost broke the scoring ribbon for FMS with a rebound and put-back and after a Westwood timeout, Yost scored again to make it 4-0.

FMS point guard Tamia Northcut swiped the rock right back from the visitors and took it the other way.

After a Forrest missed shot, Kyleah Hengesbach grabbed the rebound put it back where Yost rebounded that miss and scored again and was fouled.

Yost missed the free throw, but moments later, FMS' Amanda Patterson got on the scoreboard with a shot in the paint.

The Lady Rockets turned up the defensive pressure on the inbounds attempt and it worked as the zebra called Westwood for a five-second violation.

Yost made them pay when she took a perfect inbounds pass from Hailey Collins and laid it in to open up a 10-0 lead.

Manchester finally got on the board at the 1:22 mark of the first quarter on a basket by Kursten Hawkins.

Hawkins hit two of two from the free throw line moments later to make it 10-4 before Krista Chapman kissed a bucket off the glass after grabbing a rebound in traffic.

Cassie Whitworth (14) drains a three-bomb.

At the outset of the second quarter, Cassie Whitworth nailed a three-bomb to make it 15-4.

Hawkins hit three free throws over the next minute and a half to cut the FMS margin to 15-7 before Collins made one of two from the line and Northcut followed with a swipe and score top make it 18-7.

Northcut and Collins would score again before the first half ended and the Lady Rockets led comfortably 22-9.

The second half began with a Julia Turner scoring for Manchester to make it 22-11 before Forrest turned dialed back up the press, beginning with a Collins steal and dish to Yost for two points.

Collins would come up with two more steals in the third quarter, Hengesbach swiped two, including one that went the other way for an unassisted bucket, and Northcut and Patterson had one pick apiece that led to goals for Forrest.

Westwood would score a couple of late baskets in the quarter to make it 30-18, entering the final six minutes of play.

With the score 30-19, FMS put the game away, beginning with a traditional three-point play by Hengesbach, a Yost end-to-end basket, and a Collins basket off of a Whitworth steal.

In the seventeen-point win for FMS, Yost led the Lady Rockets with a dozen points, Collins scored 7, Northcut 6, Patterson 4, Whitworth 3, and Chapman rounded out the tally sheet with 2 points.

Hawkins led all scorers with 14 points.

Jean said, "We played hard tonight, I hope we can get better every game, especially defensively. We have a long way to go, we have a chance to be good, but we have to get better."

In the boys' tilt, the FMS Rockets took a 9-0 lead after one period and never looked back as they pounded their namesakes by eighteen points 31-13.

"There are real young, so we got on top of them early and stayed there," said FMS head coach Randy Toombs. "I am pleased, we were able to play eight or nine kids and really nothing fell off the table."

FMS point guard Alex Brewer (23) opens up the game with a fast-break bucket and the Rockets went on to beat Westwood 31-13 in their season opener Monday night.

Alex Brewer opened up the scoring for Forrest on a fast break bucket and Jesse Pruitt made it three-zip on one of two from the free throw line.

Two consecutive buckets on lay-ups by Hawkin King made it 7-0 and Pruitt scored in the paint as the first six minutes came to a close for the 9-0 lead.

Just like quarter number one, Brewer scored first in the second period to make it an 11-0 game and moments later, Marshall McKee scored on a steal and lay-in to open up a 13-0 lead.

Marshall McKee (21) drives in for a score after swiping the rock from Westwood.

Westwood's Robert Garcia broke the visitor's scoring drought with three straight points to make it 13-3 before Kendall Gillespie scored in the paint for FMS.

Gillespie scored again before the first half ended with the Forrest Rockets leading 17-3.

A Justin Turner bucket for Westwood at the outset of the second half made it 17-5, but that would be the last basket for the visitors in the period, while FMS scored on a Brewer basket and a rebound and put-back bucket by Pruitt to end the third quarter.

Brewer and Garcia traded free throws to make it 22-6 at the beginning of the fourth quarter.

Brewer would score again moments later and then Brewer stole the rock and fed Tyler Adcock for a score to open up a twenty-point FMS lead at 26-6.

Gillespie would score three more points and Colin Harber notched his only basket before the game ended with FMS taking the eighteen-point win.

"You want to be able to play kids, play your subs and you want them to come in and not drop off," said Toombs. "Actually, I think they picked it up a bit and that is what you want. We are a little awkward, but we are young and hopefully we will continue to grow."

Brewer led all scorers with 9 points, Gillespie ended up with 7, Pruitt had 5, King 4, and Harber, Adcock, and McKee all tallied two points apiece.

Sam Brown and Deshawn Gates had four points apiece for Westwood, Austin Harmon netted 3, and Turner had the one basket.