FMS boys hold off Liberty 25-19

Wednesday, October 26, 2011
FMS standout Jesse Pruitt hits a jumper for two of his team leading nine points at Liberty on Thursday. Photos by Anthony S. Puca

The FMS boys garnered their second win of the season with a hard fought 25-19 win at Liberty Thursday night.

Forrest was in control for much of the contest before the Patriots staged a late comeback, tying the game at 19 before the Rockets scored the last six points in the contest for the victory.

A Jesse Pruitt bucket for FMS opened the scoring on the night before Liberty's Chris Scheider tied it up.

The FMS cheerleaders were on their game at Liberty, keeping the squads fired up as Forrest won the boys game 25-19, but lost in the girls' battle 38-36.

The Scheider bucket would be the only score in the opening period for the home squad.

Marshall McKee would hit a two-point basket and Gary Lukonen drilled a three-bomb as Forrest took a 9-2 lead to the second period.

Liberty outscored the Rockets 7-2 in the quarter with the Rockets' only basket coming midway through the period on a rebound and put-back by Pruitt.

Scheider had a three-point goal in the quarter, Jay Wilkerson hit two free throws, and Jake Patterson scored with 2 seconds left, making it an 11-9, FMS lead at the half.

Alex Brewer made an early three-bomb in the third quarter for Forrest, but that would be the only tally for the Rockets in the period.

The Patriots scored only four points on buckets by Wilkerson and Lance Moore as they game went to the final six minutes with the visiting Rockets leading by one point 14-13.

Triston Fletcher scored on Liberty's first fourth quarter possession to give the Patriots their first lead of the game at 15-14.

After a Forrest turnover, Brewer blocked a Patriot shot and the Liberty coach was called for a technical foul with 5:24 remaining in the game.

Brewer nailed both free throws to make it 16-15, but Fletcher scored at the other end for the Pats to seesaw the lead back to Liberty at 17-16.

Pruitt and Patterson traded buckets to make it 19-18 Liberty, before a Patriots' missed shot gave FMS the ball.

Pruitt was fouled at the other end and hit one of two from the charity stripe to knot the contest at 19 with just over two minutes to go.

After two turnovers and two misses by each team, Pruitt was fouled again and this time he made both attempts to extend the Rockets' lead to two points at 21-19.

With 1:20 to go in the contest, Brewer scored in the paint to extend FMS's lead to 23-19 and Liberty called timeout with 1:13 to play in the game.

Forrest coach Randy Toombs called timeout after a Liberty turnover, but the Rockets failed to score.

The Patriots wasted a scoring opportunity at their end of the floor and Toombs called another timeout with .45 seconds remaining.

Consecutive turnovers by each ballclub gave the ball back to Forrest and Brewer put the game on ice with a basket on a driving lay-up.

Liberty called timeout with 13.5 seconds remaining, but could not get a shot off and turned the ball over to FMS to end the game.

The Rockets (2-1) got nine points from Pruitt, seven from Brewer, 5 by Lukonen, and two points each from McKee and Tyler Adcock.