Tigerettes' first win a big one

Wednesday, November 9, 2011
LMS's Katie Greer runs out before the ball game. Greer (22) would turn in a gutty performance in the Tigerettes' 30-27 win over Whitthorne Thursday night in Lewisburg. Photo by Anthony S. Puca

After dropping their season opener to Meridianville, the LMS Tigerettes rebounded in a big way, defeating archrival Whitthorne in a spirited, down to the wire 30-27 contest in Lewisburg.

LMS's Makiya Morris turned in an outstanding performance, pouring in two-thirds of the Tigerettes' points in the game as she wove her way through traffic to the rack, pulled up in the lane for jumpers, stole the ball, ran the offense, and drilled two three-pointers.

After falling behind 4-0, Morris hit two free throws to cut the lead in half, but Tamijah Kinzer scored for Whitthorne to make it 6-2.

Morris and Samantha Colley traded buckets, making it 8-4.

Katie Greer hit one of two from the free-throw line for LMS and then took to the hardwood to gain a tie-up late in the period.

Morris rewarded Greer for her effort when she threw down a rainbow, buzzer-beater from 35 feet to tie the game at 8 apiece.

Lexie Allen gave the Tigerettes a 10-8 lead early in the second period, but the Lady Tigers scored four straight points to take a two-point lead.

Whitthorne would stay on the roll and led 18-12 before Morris scored in the paint, and after a late turnover from the visitors, Morris duplicated her first quarter feat with another buzzer-beater to make it 18-17 at the intermission.

A Caroline Chance bucket midway through quarter number three made it 22-19 Whitthorne, but Morris nailed the next two baskets and the LMS defense held the Lady Tigers scoreless the remainder of the period, giving the Tigerettes a one-point, 23-22 lead with the final six minutes remaining to play.

Quarter number four was spirited to say the least as both squads battled for the victory.

An Allen three-bomb gave LMS the upper hand and the Tigerettes had a 26-25 lead with 2:14 remaining in the contest.

After a Whitthorne turnover, it was Greer, who had gone to bench moments earlier with an injured hand, coming up huge when she threw down a one-handed jumper under heavy pressure to make it 28-25 with 1:35 left.

Morris would score one more time and the LMS defense shut out Whitthorne the rest of the way to win the game and even their record at 1-1 on the season.