Raiders juiced by Rockets

Wednesday, December 7, 2011
Forrest's Tyler Rumley (22) takes the ball to the Moore County goal for the game winning layup with 16.5 seconds remaining in the contest. Photo by

After suffering the loss of his father Wayne Hobbs (TSSAA Hall of Fame) on Wednesday, Forrest head coach Wes Hobbs took his Rockets on a road trip to Lynchburg Friday night for their District 9A opener.

"It's been a real tough couple days," said Hobbs after the game. "To be able to come out here is my therapy. The guys came to the funeral for my dad this morning and that meant a lot to me. They were there for me and I wanted to be there for them tonight."

An unlikely hero emerged in Tyler "Juice" Rumley, who hit the game winning layup with 16.5 seconds remaining in the contest, giving Hobbs an emotional 64-61 win over the Moore County Raiders.

"We didn't play our best game tonight, but we made some key shots when we had to," said Hobbs. "This is a tough place to win, the fans are great, and they are well coached, so this is a big win for us."

Rumley scored a career high 15 points in the contest, including four three-pointers for the Rockets, who jumped out to ten-point first quarter (19-9) lead before the Raiders stormed back to within a single digit by halftime (32-31) on a buzzer beater from half court by Cole Boyce.

Moore County came out strong after the intermission to take a four-point lead thanks to a 5-0 spurt that included a basket and a foul shot by Zack Williams and a bucket by J.P. Robinson.

Moments later, Forrest's Marshall Hunter drilled a long-range trey, and after a Moore County missed shot, Rumley drained another three-pointer to give the Rockets a 38-36 spread.

The action went back and forth and so did the score until Mark Pope came up with a steal and score with a few seconds remaining in the quarter, giving the Rockets a 48-46 lead, entering the final eight minutes.

Knotted up at 51 with fewer than five minutes left, Pope drilled a missile for three and the Rockets led 54-51, but once again the home squad came back to tie on a single free throw by Dillon Davis, followed by a basket from Boyce.

Moore County called timeout, trailing by the same score with 3:37 remaining, but turned the ball over out of the stoppage and Zach Horvath scored at the other for the Rockets.

Two Boyce free throws tied the game again before Pope drained another three-bomb, giving Forrest a 59-56 lead.

Moore County dug in to re-capture the lead at 61-59, but Jacob Daughrity took the rock to the dish for the tie with 1:10 remaining in the contest.

Moore County missed at the home end and Hobbs called timeout with 16.5 seconds left in the game.

The Raiders (3-4, 1-1) coughed up the ball and had to foul Pope with 4.4 seconds left.

Pope hit one of two from the line and a last second desperation heave by the Raiders was off the mark, giving Forrest (3-4, 1-0) the hard-earned victory.

Moore County pivot man Zach Williams led all scorers with 23 points in the ballgame.

Pope led the Rockets in the scoring column with 20 points, Rumley had his 15, Horvath scored 13, Hunter 6, Daughrity 5, Zach Ray pitched in with 4 points, and Dakota Zimmerman had a single tally for Forrest, who will travel to Eagleville on Tuesday before returning to Chapel Hill Friday night versus Huntland, followed by a game at Cornersville on Saturday.