FMS Rockets crushed by Eagleville in season opener

Friday, August 10, 2012
FMS head coach David Evans (red hat) tries to keep his troops up late in the game. Photos by Anthony S. Puca

The FMS Rockets had a front row seat to the Joseph Sewell show Thursday night as the Eagleville running back scored on touchdown runs of 64, 48, 40 and 9 yards in the contest, plus a two-point conversion for 26 out of the 34 points scored by the Eagles in a 34-0 shellacking.

It was not what first-year FMS head Coach David Evans planned for the season opening crowd at "The Rock" Thursday night in Chapel Hill.

"We had a pretty good week of practice this week, I really expected a lot more," said Evans after the game. "We have a lot of kids in different positions, we also didn't have a game film to go by and that is my fault. We just have to coach them up a little bit better."

Daniel Johnson (52) tackles Eagleville running back Joey Hughes (32) at the line of scrimmage.

Sewell scored on the 64-yard end around jaunt on Eagleville's first play from scrimmage and things never turned around for the Rockets in the contest.

Sewell banged in the two-point conversion for an 8-0 Eagleville lead.

FMS went three and out after Sewell's TD run and four plays later Sewell went to the other side of the field on a mirror play from the first TD run and scored again from 48 yards out.

Forrest's Jacob Jones (2) returns a kickoff in the first quarter.

The two-point conversion run was good again and Eagleville led 16-0 with 3:13 remaining in the first quarter.

The Rockets would only gain six yards on their next possession and Jacob Jones had to punt the ball away again.

Eagleville began to drive the ball down the field as the first quarter ran out and early in the second quarter, Joey Hughes rambled out of the backfield and rumbled 32 yards for another touchdown.

FMS captains Jacob Jones (2), Garrett Nevison (35) and Jonathan Lykins (14) get some pre-game instructions at midfield before the game.

The extra point try was no good and Eagleville led 22-0 with 4:23 remaining in the first half.

FMS went three and out for the third consecutive time on offense and on defense, the Rockets finally stopped Eagleville on four plays and took over on downs.

Forrest would not muster any offense after the stop and fumbled the punt snap, giving Eagleville great field position at the FMS 11-yard line.

Two plays later, Sewell scored from 9-yards out on the last play of the first half and the Eagles' lead was boosted to 28-0.

On the first possession of the second half, FMS punted after three plays and Eagleville drove to the Forrest 31-yard line before giving the ball up on downs.

Once again, FMS was stymied on offense and the third quarter ran out with Eagleville on the FMS 40-yard line.

On the initial play of the fourth quarter, Sewell took it to the house again for a 34-0 Eagleville lead and that would be the final score.

Forrest did not pick up a first down in the game.

The Rockets travel to Community on Thursday for a 6:30 p.m. match-up versus the Vikings.

"We are just going to have to put in some more time and more effort and be more focused in practice," said Evans. "As far as I am concerned we can still go 7-1."