Big plays lift Cascade over FMS

Wednesday, August 29, 2012
FMS's Branson Beech (3) was wide open for a touchdown that opened the scoring for the Rockets in the first quarter. Photos by Anthony S. Puca

After an impressive 20-0 shutout win over Community last Thursday in Unionville, the FMS Rockets returned to "The Rock" in Chapel Hill for a matchup versus archrival Cascade and were done in by the combination of Champion quarterback Hunter Calvert and receiver Lewis Faulk, who hooked up for four touchdowns in the game.

Faulk scored on TD receptions from 40, 46, 47 and 64 yards out as the Champions won 34-20.

The deadly orange and black combo scored on their fourth play from scrimmage at the 5:48 mark of the first quarter for a touchdown and Calvert found Kevin Conn wide open in the end zone for the two-point conversion for an early 8-0 lead.

Billy Clanton (33) and Josh Hill (79) put pressure on Cascade's Hayden Edmondson (10).

Forrest fumbled the ensuing kickoff, but Jacob Jones got the ball right back for the Rockets when he intercepted Calvert.

Forrest went three and out on their next two possessions and the Champions were also stopped before scoring midway through the second quarter on a Calvert to Faulk 64-yard toss and score.

Hayden Edmondson caught the two-point conversion from Calvert this time and the Champions led 16-0.

The Rockets would get their initial first down of the ballgame on a Cascade personal foul and the excellent field position led to a Chase Charboneau three-yard touchdown pass to Branson Beech with 1:54 remaining in the first half.

The extra point try was no good and the Rockets trailed 16-6.

Two plays after the ensuing kickoff, Faulk hauled in a 64-yard TD pass from Calvert to make it 22-6 with 1:23 left in the half.

The Rockets came right back, driving the ball down the field to score moments later on a Jonathan Lykins 2-yard touchdown run.

Bryton Spitsley added the two-point conversion run, cutting Cascade's lead to 22-14 with just 40.8 seconds remaining in the first half.

Just when the Rockets thought they were back in the game, the Champions drove the length of the field and scored on a 12-yard TD run by Edmondson as time ran out in the first half with Cascade up by two touchdowns 28-14.

Forrest took the second half kickoff and drove the ball all the way down to the Cascade 14-yard line before the drive ended on an Edmondson interception.

Cascade took over and went on a long drive that ate up the rest of the third quarter, and early in the fourth period, Faulk scored from 47-yards out after grabbing a Calvert pass just beyond the line of scrimmage.

The extra point was no good and the Wartrace boys led 34-14 with just under seven minutes remaining in the contest.

Forrest's next drive fizzled out after three consecutive penalties and Cascade took over on downs with 5:32 left in the game.

Two plays later, Billy Clanton recovered a Cascade fumble and the Rockets drove to the Champions' 2-yard line where Spitsley scored on a run to make it a 34-20 ballgame and that was the way it ended.

Beech had monster game, catching 4 passes for 104 yards and Charboneau completed three out of seven passes for 85 yards and ran for 10 yards in the contest.

Jones threw for 20 yards and rushed for another 84 yards, while Spitsley ended up with 39 yards on seven carries.

Forrest (1-3) travels to Fayetteville City on Thursday with game time set for 6:30 p.m.