FMS Rockets bounce Westwood

Friday, November 9, 2012
FMS's Marshall McKee (21) goes up strong for two of his eight points in the Rockets' 36-28 win over Westwood. Photos by Anthony S. Puca

The Forrest Middle School Rockets bounced back from a pair of tough lopsided road losses with a big 36-28 win over their namesakes from Westwood Tuesday night in Chapel Hill.

FHS head coach Wes Hobbs, who teamed up with former FHS coach Davy McClaran in the coaching box in the absence of Randy Toombs, said about the coaching duo, "Coach Toombs went up to be with his daughter, her husband is being deployed to serve our country and we were happy to fill in and we enjoyed it. It was fun working together with coach Mac and I think the boys had fun too."

FMS' Jacob Jones, who led all scorers in the contest with 16 points, opened up the scoring for the Rockets, but it was offset by a three-pointer by Manchester's Stephen Sullivan.

Tim Elliot (11) drives to the hoop for a first-half buzzer beater, giving the Rockets a 17-7 halftime lead.

A Brad Corder bucket, followed by a steal and a score by Jones made it 6-3, and moments later, Marshall McKee scored in the post to build the Rockets' lead to 8-3.

Sullivan went downtown again late in the quarter, but two free throws by Austin Bailey gave FMS a 10-5 lead after the first six minutes.

The Rocket defense took over in quarter number two as FMS outscored Westwood 7-1 and led at the half 17-7.

Manchester kept the game at single digits at 23-14 and Jones went to the pine with his fourth personal foul midway through the third period.

McKee netted the final three points to just one for Westwood by quarter's end, giving the hometown Rockets a 26-15 lead after three periods of action.

Westwood began to surge as Jones was on the bench with four fouls.

After a steal and score by Carlos Mendmas made it 28-20, Hobbs inserted Jones back into the game and he paid immediate dividends by banking in a three-pointer, making it 31-20.

Four straight points by Westwood cut into FMS' lead again before Jones single-handedly put the visitors away, scoring five unanswered points down the stretch to seal the eight-point win.

"We try to win every quarter," said Hobbs. "That's the way we try to break it down and take it one at a time and we won every quarter except the fourth and usually that's not good, but the kids played hard, played great defense and finished it off at the end."

McKee ended up with eight points for FMS, Bailey and Corder netted four points apiece, and Tim Elliot and Dayton Ward finished with two markers each.

Sullivan was high man for Westwood with 11 points.