Shots fired from truck on 7th Ave.

Friday, November 16, 2012

By Clint Confehr

Senior Staff Writer

Three shots were fired from a pickup truck at several people in front of a house on 7th Avenue near Franklin Road just before 6 p.m. Tuesday, police said Wednesday.

Some of the boys at the house in the 600 block of 7th Avenue were in a fight Monday at Marshall County High School, Police Chief Chuck Forbis said. One of the boys was in the truck from which shots were fired.

The accused triggerman is Oscar Vincet Torres, 21, Lewisburg. Arrested by Officer Amanda Binkley, he was charged with reckless endangerment for alleged use of a firearm, Forbis said.

Binkley also arrested Carlos Daniel Mejia, 20, Lewisburg. He's charged with criminal responsibility for facilitation of a felony and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, the chief said.

Mejia was held on $7,000 bond. Torres' bond was $3,000. A judicial commissioner set bond.

A 15-year-old boy was in the red, 2002 Dodge truck. He was taken into custody on a petition asking Juvenile Court Judge Lee Bussart Bowles to declare him delinquent because his acts would be criminal if he was an adult. He's been held in a juvenile facility, presumably in Shelbyville. Police confiscated the truck and a gun.

"The juvenile was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and tampering with evidence," Forbis said.

The chief said he and his detectives didn't believe the shots were fired in connection with illegal drugs or over a woman. There were no gunshot wounds, nor was there return gunfire.

"We could not find evidence that a building was hit," the chief said.

As for motive, Forbis said, "We don't know exactly. Many of the witnesses have not cooperated fully, but it's our understanding there's been an on-going disagreement between these two groups."

The adults are to appear Dec. 3 in Lewisburg General Sessions Court, Forbis said.

Lewisburg-based attorney "Rob Dalton showed up for one of the defendants," Forbis said.

Detectives Scott Braden and James Johnson investigated until 4 a.m. Wednesday. Police Sgt. Chris Sawyers led the shift of uniformed officers on duty. All participated in the investigation.

"Some of the same people involved in the shots fired incident are involved in the fight at MCHS on Monday," Forbis said.

Schools Director Jackie Abernathy said MCHS was locked down Monday after the fight.

The fight involved four students, Abernathy said. "Four were suspended. Charges were placed with juvenile services."

Wednesday, Abernathy didn't know why the boys were fighting, she said.

After the fight, the school had additional law enforcement officers present "to deal with any repercussions," she said. "The SRO handled the situation."

School Resource Office Billy Osterman was at the assembly, Abernathy said. No medical treatment was required because of the fight. No weapons were confiscated. The boys' parents drove them away from school.

The fight was after a Veterans Day assembly in the gymnasium. Abernathy said she believed the fight was in the gym.

The fight was between juvenile boys, Abernathy said. The next regular day for juvenile court is Monday. The boys' first opportunity to go back to school is Tuesday, depending on the judge.