MCHS swept in season openers

Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Marissa Lyttle (44) scored a team high 10 points in the Tigerettes' 47-26 loss at Harpeth on Thursday night. Photos by Anthony S. Puca

The MCHS basketball squads travelled to Harpeth Thursday night for a pair of season opening Hall of Fame games, and after putting up a good fight in each contest, the event ended up with the Tigerettes losing 47-36, while the Indians barely got by the Tigers 44-40.

In the boys' game, the Indians doubled up the Tigers 28-14 at the end of the first half.

The Kingston Springs squad led by as many as fifteen points late in the third period before Tiger senior standout Kevin Peterson got hot, scoring the last seven points in the period, including a three-point buzzer beater to cut the Harpeth lead to 32-24.

An Aaron Hobbs driving layup for a score to begin the final eight minutes cut the Harpeth lead to 32-26.

The two squads traded baskets by Hobbs and Tanner Newton before a Barry Mayes three-bomb off a Harpeth turnover tightened the contest at 34-31 with 5:11 remaining in the ballgame.

A Casey Pleas rebound and put-back stopped a Harpeth 4-0 run, but Ethan Hurt matched the Pleas bucket to make it 40-34.

Peterson went downtown again moments later to slice the lead back to three points at 40-37.

The Indians built their lead back to 42-37 late in the game, but three free throws by Hobbs made it 42-20, giving MCHS a last chance hope with 1.8 seconds remaining in the contest.

Harpeth called timeout and the Tigers could not steal the inbounds pass before fouling Davis Anderson, who drained both free throws to put the game away.

Kevin Peterson (5) dropped in 22 points in the Tigers' 60-44 season opening Hall of Fame game loss to the Harpeth Indians.

Peterson led all scorers in the ballgame with 22 points (3 treys), while Hobbs ended up with 10, Pleas had four, Corbin Clack netted one three-pointer and Cameron Bowers had a single free throw for the Tigers.

After trailing 14-7 after the first quarter, the Tigerettes surged and led 24-22 at the half and by one point at 30-29, entering the fourth period.

MCHS grabbed the halftime lead in the last minute and a half of the second quarter on a three-pointer by Morgan Moyers, followed by a Michala Hopkins put-back just before the buzzer.

Mecia Reed converted a late basket and Marissa Lyttle scored four of her team high 10 points in the third quarter for the Tigerettes, who went into the final period with the one-point lead.

Harpeth ran off six straight points to begin the final eight minutes of play before a Kiya Morris free throw and Lyttle bucket in the paint cut the Lady Indians' lead to 35-33 with just over three minutes to play in the game.

From there, Harpeth secured the game thanks to a 12-1 run to end the contest.

Kenesha McFall and Morris ended up with six points apiece for Lewisburg, while Moyers and Reed scored five and Hopkins rounded out the scoring with four points.

MCHS travels to Columbia Central on Monday to finish their Hall of Fame slate.