FMS Rockets go down fighting

Wednesday, December 5, 2012
Marshall McKee (21) gets position before muscling a basket over Eagleville's Chavalier Sutton. Photos by Anthony S. Puca

The FMS Rockets' season ended with a 38-24 loss in Monday night's opening round of the Duck River Valley Conference Tournament in Chapel Hill versus second-seeded Eagleville, but not without a good fight.

"The season was about what we expected, especially with all the injuries at the beginning," said FMS head coach Randy Toombs. "The one thing that has really hurt this program a lot is practice time. We haven't really had a consistent practice time and it is not their fault. It more goes on line of the whole program overall. The girls have been pretty solid in their practice, but we haven't. But not a bad year and I will sit down with them and let them know what they need to do to excel at the next level and I am the next level."

FMS fell behind 5-0 early, finally scoring at the 3:30 mark of the first period on a Jacob Jones basket.

Jones would score again one possession later, but that would be it for the Rockets, who trailed 12-4 after the first six minutes.

The Rockets would cut the lead to seven points twice in the second quarter, the first coming on a Jarret Patmore basket midway through the stanza.

After a Marshall McKee basket made it 19-12, Eagleville head coach Kevin Snell called timeout with 2:36 remaining in the first half.

Snell went back to his original game plan to pound the ball into the low post and it worked as Joseph Sewell converted on a three-point play in the paint and the first half ended with the Eagles holding a 10-point, 22-12 lead.

"If we could have stayed within the game plan, we were just trying to front those big boys inside and we couldn't stay with them," said Toombs. "They were just cross-screening and all I wanted them to do was stay in a spot. If you lose them and don't rebound, you give them a second and third look, you're hurting."

After Jones and Evan Rives traded buckets to begin the second half, FMS started their comeback when Tim Elliot stole the rock and went the distance, making it 24-16.

Jacob Jones (12), who led all scorers in the contest with 12 points, knocks down a first quarter jumper over Eagleville's Trent Mullins (20).

Jones and McKee would score to cut the Eagleville lead to four points before the Eagles threw it in the post and then out to Eric Hawks, who drained a three-pointer.

Jones followed with another basket for Forrest, but Eagleville's Trent Mullins rained down another three-bomb, making it 30-22, entering the final six minutes of the season for FMS.

"That is the gamble, we knew they were big inside and we were packing it in," said Toombs. "Even on those two boys who hit the threes, there was supposed to be someone on them, they were just not there in time."

The fourth quarter belonged to Eagleville, who outscored the Rockets 8-2 in the period to win going away.

Jones led FMS with 12 points, McKee had six, and Patmore, Elliot and Jayln Smith all had a deuce.

Matthew Boyett was top man for the Eagles with nine points, Hawks, Mullins and Chavalier Sutton scored six points apiece, Rives and Austin Davenport had four, and Sewell finished with three points.