FMS Lady Rockets oust Cascade from World Tournament

Wednesday, December 5, 2012
FMS's Brynn Colvin (40) gets hacked by two Cascade players before converting two out of game high 16 points in the Lady Rockets' 32-19 win over the Lady Champions in the first round of the World Tournament in Chapel Hill Monday night. Photos by Anthony S. Puca

The FMS Lady Rockets ended the regular season with 34-28 win over Cascade on Thursday night behind a strong effort by Kyleah Hengesbach and Brynn Colvin, who combined for 19 points.

The seventh-seeded Lady Rockets came back for Monday night's opening round of the Duck River Valley Conference Tournament with the same fire as head coach Rhea Webb's squad made it two in a row over the orange and black, ousting the second-seeded Lady Champions 32-19.

"We're excited," said Webb after the contest. "They're growing and coming together as a team, we still have a long way to go, but we are getting there."

Brief lapse

Forrest (6-10) never trailed in the contest, but let Cascade (10-6) come back to tie the game in the third quarter before pulling away from the second-seeded Lady Champions, thanks to a huge 10-3 fourth quarter effort.

Kyleah Hengesbach (30) takes it the hole for a steal and score in the second quarter.

Once again, it was Colvin and Hengesbach combining on some heavy damage as Colvin poured in a game high 16 points in the post, while Hengesbach added seven points and her presence on the floor was the key to the efficient offensive output.

The two eighth graders each scored an early basket in the World Tournament opener and the Lady Rockets' defense held Cascade scoreless until a Kristen Heath free throw cut the slim FMS lead to 4-1 with 2:39 remaining in the first period.

Moments later Tamia Northcutt stole the ball and Webb called timeout with 1:53 left in the period.

Perfect play

Webb drew up a play on the white-board and the Lady Rockets executed it perfectly as Colvin scored in the paint to make it 6-1.

Savannah Johnson nailed one of two from the free throw line for Cascade before Northcutt scored on a follow at the other end, extending FMS' lead to 8-2.

Katie Harmon added a lone charity shot at the end of the quarter for Forrest, who went up 11-2 early in the second period on a Hengesbach to Colvin hookup.

Cascade dug in and went on a 7-1 run, slicing FMS' lead to 12-9 by the end of the first half.

Tied game

Colvin scored the first basket of the third period to put Forrest up 14-9, but once again, Cascade came back, this time all the way back to tie the contest at 16-16 on a Bailey Sudduth bucket with four minutes remaining in the quarter.

"We started making mental mistakes and fouling instead of moving our feet, we were reaching, so we let them get back in the game a little bit," said Webb. "I was a little nervous, but I knew if they just did what they were capable of doing they would be OK."

Both squads went cold from the floor until Colvin broke the tie on a jumper and after a Cascade turnover, Hengesbach scored on an inbounds play under the Forrest basket, giving the Lady Rockets a 20-16 lead, entering the final six minutes of action.

Colvin opened up the fourth period with a basket before Heath drilled her second trey of the ballgame at the 5:20 mark to make it 24-19.

Defense clamps down

The Lady Rockets would not allow another Cascade point the remainder of the contest as the Lady Champs' season ended and the Lady Rockets moved on to Thursday night's semifinal round versus MTCS, who knocked out Eagleville in a ? win.

Northcutt finished with four points for FMS, while Harmon added three and Emma Stacey scored two points.

Heath had a dozen to lead Cascade in the scoring column, while Sudduth finished with six and Johnson added the one lone free throw.