Last second basket lifts Fayetteville over LMS Tigerettes

Friday, December 7, 2012
LMS' Britni Davis fires up a three-pointer in the second quarter against Fayetteville. Photos by Louis G. Scheuchenzuber

After losing to Whitthorne 36-34 four days earlier, the Lewisburg Middle School Tigerettes (1-6) were dealt another heartbreaking defeat on Monday night when they were beaten 26-25 on the road by Fayetteville Middle School in overtime.

Having lost to Fayetteville 34-18 in their previous encounter on Nov. 15, the Tigerettes trailed 14-3 at halftime of Monday's contest, but outscored FMS 18-7 over the next two quarters to send the game into overtime tied at 21-21.

Lewisburg then took a 25-24 lead in the waning seconds of the overtime period, but Fayetteville snatched victory from the jaws of defeat when FMS guard Carly Fee scored on a backdoor layup on an inbounds play as time expired.

"Our girl that was guarding her was protecting the lane and we just didn't get to her quick enough after she threw it in. Give credit to Fayetteville though, it was a well executed play," said Tigerette coach Chris Coleman. "I feel like in our last two games that we've made some big strides. I was proud of the way that we fought back because we got off to such a bad start. We just have to build from this and keep getting better."

Both teams finished with nine field goals and three treys apiece, while FMS outscored Lewisburg 5-4 at the free throw line. Fayetteville also outrebounded the Tigerettes 26-21 and held a 9-5 edge on the offensive glass.

Shooting guard Leah Hollingsworth led Lewisburg with 10 points and four steals. Britni Davis followed Hollingsworth with six points, while Zachuriya O'Neal tallied five points, four steals, and three blocked shots. Taianda Hutton and Sydne Solomon each chipped in two points for the Tigerettes as well with Hutton recording five steals and two blocked shots.

D.J. Horton paced FMS with 10 points, while Fee added eight points. Amy Cobb and Kevondria Carr also notched four points apiece for Fayetteville.

Points were extremely hard to come by for Lewisburg early on, as they failed to score through the first 9:55 of the game while FMS jumped out to a 9-0 lead late in the second quarter.

Davis nailed a three from the top of the key at the 2:05 mark of the second period to trim the deficit to 9-3, but Fayetteville tallied the final five points of the half to take a 14-3 advantage into the break.

The Tigerettes began to chip away at FMS' lead at the start of the second half and outscored Fayetteville 6-2 in the third quarter with the help of three points from O'Neal and a Davis trey to narrow the gap to 16-9.

LMS' Leah Hollingsworth scores on a layup in the fourth quarter against Fayetteville.

FMS opened up a 20-11 advantage early in the fourth thanks to a pair of baskets from Carr, but Hollingsworth scored five straight points on a three and a layup before Solomon hit a short bank shot with 1:00 left to slice the deficit to 20-18.

After Horton made one-of-two free throws to make it 21-18, Hollingsworth was fouled while shooting a three-pointer with 1.9 seconds left and hit all three attempts from the charity stripe to knot the score at 21-21.

In overtime, Fee canned a trey to give Fayetteville a 24-21 lead, before Hollingsworth and O'Neal both scored on layups to put Lewisburg up 25-24 with :25 remaining.

Horton then missed a jumper on FMS' next trip down the court, but the Tigerettes were called for traveling near the left sideline after collecting the rebound and Fayetteville regained possession with 4.5 seconds left.

Cobb then caught the inbounds pass from Fee near the left elbow of the free throw line before dishing the ball back to Fee, who had cut to the basket and scored on a uncontested layup to give FMS the 26-25 win.