Rockets bounce back with homecoming win

Wednesday, January 30, 2013
The Forrest 2012-2013 Basket Homecoming Court from left, freshman attendant Scarlett Graves and escort Hakeem Cosme, junior attendant Kaitlin Ladd and escort Tyler McClendon, senior attendant Candace Daughrity and escort Scott Burke, Homecoming Queen Kap Prueksachatparsal and King Keith Hatten, senior attendant Hannah Phifer and escort Jake Kennemer, senior attendant Amanda Chumbley and escort Brandon Miller, and sophomore attendant Cheyenne Brashear and escort Travis Bryan. Tribune photos by Anthony S. Puca

After a tough District 9-A loss at Cascade on Friday, the Forrest Rockets bounced back with a big 75-47 homecoming win versus Summertown Saturday night in Chapel Hill.

Seniors Zach Horvath and Mark Pope led the way for the Rockets, scoring 20 and 19 points respectively.

The Rockets jumped out to an early 9-0 lead on the back of the two seniors and led 11-7 at the end of the first quarter.

Nate Morrison scored for the Eagles to begin the second quarter, but Tyler "Juice" Rumley drained a three-pointer at the other end for Forrest.

With the score at 14-10 in favor of the Rockets, Kennedy Mathis scored six out of the next eight points in the contest, giving the home team a 20-12 lead.

A Camden Perry three-bomb later on would cut the Forrest lead to 23-19 and the Eagles would stay within four points of the Rockets at 25-21.

After two Pope free throws made it 27-21, the game turned when Rumley caught an unintentional elbow to the face and would have to leave the contest for the rest of the night after making one of two foul shots.

Zach Horvath (4) scored a game-high 20 points for the Rockets, who knocked off Summertown 75-47 Saturday night in Chapel Hill.

Horvath picked up his injured teammate with a basket and Dakota Zimmerman followed with a score, making it a double-digit lead for the Rockets at 32-21.

Summertown whittled away at the lead, cutting their deficit to seven points until Horvath drained a long three-bomb with a few seconds remaining in the first half to give FHS a 36-26 lead after two quarters.

Luke Scott scored for Summertown to start the second half, but the lead remained 10-points in favor of the Rockets until they blew the game open on three consecutive scores by Horvath, Lucas Pruitt, and Pope midway through the third quarter.

The trio of Rocket baskets gave Forrest a 16-point lead and they would lead by 15, 50-35, entering the final eight minutes of play.

Seth Wright scored in the paint for Summertown to start the fourth period before a Zimmerman basket, two free throws by Caleb Keller and a steal and score by Pope put the game out of reach for good at 57-37.

Mathis and Zimmerman ended up with eight points apiece for the Rockets, Rumley netted six points before leaving with his injury, Ty Hoeft scored four, and Keller, Jacob Daughrity, Blake Leonard, Pruitt, and Jake Townsend all netted a deuce.

Scott led the Eagles in the scoring column with 17 points, Wright had 11, Morrison and Perry pitched in with eight points apiece, Adrian Price scored two and Kason Glass had a single marker.