Tigers outlast Summit

Wednesday, January 30, 2013
MCHS Basketball Homecoming court, back row from left, Morgan Moyers, Megan Martin, Marissa Lyttle, Megan Sanders, and Tyesha Kinnard. Front row, 2012-2013 Homecoming Queen Takima Whitfield. Photo submitted

Despite being pushed to the brink on Friday night, the Marshall County Tigers (12-9, 9-3 District) found a way to come away with a win, as they rallied to defeat the Summit Spartans 60-57 in overtime on Homecoming after trailing by as many as 13 points in the third quarter.

MCHS had won all three previous meetings against Summit, including a 49-45 victory on Dec.7, but the Spartans (8-12, 6-5 District) appeared they might turn the tables on Marshall County in Friday's contest and built a 40-27 lead early in the third quarter.

Summit still held a 47-37 advantage early in the fourth quarter, before the Tigers came storming back and used a 16-6 run to tie the game at 53-53 at the end of the regulation. Marshall County then outscored the Spartans 7-4 in the extra session to escape with the three-point win.

Marshall County's Aaron Hobbs shoots a jumper over Summit's Makinde London in the first quarter. Tribune photo by Louis G. Scheuchenzuber

"It was definitely a tale of two halves. We came out lethargic and let them dictate the tempo, but we played with more energy in the second half and wore them down with our defensive pressure," said MCHS coach Adrian Wilson. "I'm super excited for the guys and it was great to see how happy they were in the locker room after the game."

The Tigers shot only 39 percent (22-of-57) from the field overall, but knocked down 9-of-25 three-point attempts and committed only eight turnovers while outscoring Summit 7-4 at the foul line.

Although they shot an impressive 51 percent (24-of-47) from the field and outrebounded MCHS 33-23, the Spartans hit only 5-of-18 attempts from beyond the arc and turned the ball over 18 times.

Kevin Peterson drilled four threes and led four Tiger players in double figures with 18 points. Aaron Hobbs followed Peterson with 15 points, and Chris Walker tallied 11 points. Cameron Bowers also added 10 points, while Kasey Pleas and Malek Sain chipped in four and two points respectively.

Makinde London paced Summit with 19 points. Tyler Otto and Grant Robison notched 11 and nine points respectively for the Spartans as well, while Phillip Sheary and Preston Patterson both had six points.

The Tigers jumped out to a 9-5 lead early in the first quarter thanks to a Peterson trey and a pair of threes from Hobbs, before Summit closed the stanza with a 12-2 run to pull ahead 17-11.

Walker buried a trey at the start of the second period to narrow the gap to 17-14, but the Spartans outscored MCHS 17-6 over the next 5:41 to stretch their lead to 34-20.

After Marshall County cut the deficit to 34-25 on a Hobbs three and a layup by Sain, Malcolm Walker scored on a layup in the waning seconds of the half to stake Summit to a 36-25 advantage at the break.

The Spartans then tallied four of the first six points of the third quarter to make it 40-27, but the Tigers put together a 10-5 run behind four points from Pleas and a Walker trey to close the gap to 45-37 early in the fourth quarter.

Summit pushed their lead to 47-37 on a layup by London, before Marshall County outscored the Spartans 8-4 over the next 4:25 on the strength of four points apiece from Walker and Bowers to slice the deficit to 51-45.

Following a layup by London, which gave Summit a 53-45 advantage, Peterson sandwiched a couple of threes around a Bowers layup to knot the contest at 53-53 with 1:03 remaining in the fourth quarter.

The Spartans had a chance to win the game on their final possession of regulation, but Sheary missed an open three-pointer as time expired.

After London hit a running bank shot to put Summit up 55-53 at start of overtime, Marshall County responded with a 6-2 spurt, highlighted by a Peterson trey, to seize a 59-57 lead with :19 left.

Sheary was fouled on a layup attempt with :03 remaining, but missed both free throws while Bowers grabbed the rebound.

Bowers then made one-of-two foul shots to stretch Marshall County's lead to 60-57, before London missed a long desperation heave at the buzzer.