Murders not connected, says detective

Friday, August 2, 2013

By Karen Hall


The name of the victim of the Monday killing on Hill Street still had not been released when the Tribune went to press, though Lewisburg Detective Cpl. Scott Braden said he was "a white male in his 20s."

No arrests have been made, and Braden is not releasing any details of the crime.

When asked if he thought the second murder had any connection to the stabbing at Northgate Arms Apartments Sunday afternoon, Braden said, "I do not believe there is a connection between the two."

The report on the Sunday killing of James Hall, 26, by Lewisburg Police Officer John Christmas states that he and officers Ben Fender and Mike Davis responded to a "fight between multiple people" at the apartment complex about 2 p.m. Sunday.

When the officers arrived, they found Hall lying on his back in the breezeway of Building K, "bleeding from his torso." A woman was applying compression to the wounds, and Hall was able to tell Christmas that (Jonathan) Taylor Young was the one who cut him.

By interviewing bystanders at the apartments, Christmas was able to piece together the connection between the two men.

Young is the father of a child whose mother was Hall's girlfriend.

According to Christmas' report, the woman "asked Taylor not to come to her apartment because she feared James (Hall) and Taylor (Young) would get into a confrontation."

Unfortunately, Taylor and his brother did come to the apartment, and started fighting with Hall outside the building.

"After the fight James stood up and was bleeding from his torso area," the young woman told Christmas. He "took a few steps toward the apartment and collapsed."

When Christmas went to the ambulance to check on Hall, he found Emergency Medical Services personnel performing CPR, and they told him Hall had become unresponsive.

Hall was pronounced dead at Marshall Medical Center.

A bond of $750,000 has been set for Young, and he remains in Marshall County Jail.