Pre-K and kindergarten registration begins in April
Pre-K and kindergarten registration for the 2014-2015 school year will be held in April.
The "Voluntary Pre-K for Tennessee" initiative is to provide for Tennessee's 4-year-old children. The first priority is given to those 4 year olds who are economically disadvantaged, giving them an opportunity to develop school-readiness skills (pre-academic and social skills) in an enviornment that fosters the love and joy of learning, and promotes success in kindergarten and throughout the child's life.
Children must be 4 years of age on or before Aug. 15, in order to enroll in Pre-K for the 2014-2015 school year. Students must be registered by their custodial parent. Registration for Pre-K will be held from 2:30 until 5 p.m. Tuesday, April 15, in the lower conference room at the Marshall County Board of Education, 700 Jones Circle, Lewisburg. If there are more children registered than places available, names of those who can attend Pre-K will be drawn in a lottery.
Parents should bring the following documents with them to register a child for the Pre-K program:
* Official birth certificate (not the mother's copy)
* Child's social security card
* Immunization record (school health form, not mother's copy)
* Current physical examination (school health form, not mother's copy)
* Proof of residency in Marshall County
* Photo identification of parent/guardian
* Proof of income
* Negative TB test (for students born outside of the U.S.)
Kindergarten registration for the 2014-2015 school year will also begin in April. All registration will be done at the schools. Children must be 5 years of age on or before Aug. 15 in order to be eligible to attend kindergarten for that year. Exceptions will be made for those who attended Pre-K during the 2013-2014 school year. Students must be registered by their custodial parent and they must register at the elementary school within their residential district. For those wishing to register outside of their district, a request form must be completed and filed with the Attendance Office at the Marshall County Board of Education. Requests will be considered on a first-come basis.
Kindergarten registration will be held on Thursday, April 3, and where you register depends on where you live.
* Lewisburg bus route -- Oak Grove Elementary, 1645 Franklin Pike, Lewisburg -- 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m and 3:30 to 6 p.m.
* Cornersville bus route -- Cornersville Elementary School, 485 North Main Street, Cornersville -- 3 to 6 p.m.
* Chapel Hill bus route - Chapel Hill Elementary School, 415 South Horton Parkway, Chapel Hill -- 3 to 6 p.m.
Parents enrolling their children for kindergarten should bring the same documents with them to register as listed above for Pre-K, except proof of income is not required.