First Baptist Church celebrates 125th anniversary
It's beginning to feel a lot like Homecoming! In fact, First Baptist Church of Lewisburg will be celebrating their 125th anniversary on Sunday, Sept. 21.
Lewisburg's first Baptists belonged to Pleasant Hill Baptist Church in Duncanville; however, distance and poor roads made travel to church difficult for those living miles away. A group of about 22 members decided to build a church close to the Lewisburg square. By 1890 they moved into a new building on the corner of Water Street and 4th Avenue North.
Within 34 years, the congregation outgrew that site. In 1924, members purchased adjoining lots on the corner of 2nd Avenue North and Haynes Street and began constructing a larger house of worship. In July 1925, First Baptist Church opened its doors.
Over the next 30 years or so, the church grew by leaps and bounds. In 1936, members voted to build a mission in Lewisburg. By September 1959, this mission became East Commerce Baptist Church.
First Baptist Church exists to worship God. Members work to spread the Gospel of