JECDB meets to hear good news
By Ivory Riner
The whole Joint Economic and Community Development Board met for lunch Tuesday at the United Methodist Church in Cornersville.
Executive Director Mike Wiles started off by talking about unemployment throughout Marshall County. In 2009, it was in double digits. Now, in 2014, the unemployment rate is in single digits. Marshall County has 12,320 jobs available, 11,170 of those jobs are filled, and 1,140 of the residents of the county are unemployed.
Wiles said the county is growing, as indicated by high school enrollment increasing -- Cornersville High School has 294 students, Marshall County High School has 849, and Forest High School has 522.
Post-secondary education is more important than ever, and now more affordable with the new tnAchieves Program through which 2015 graduates will receive two years of free community college. This program requires that each student have a mentor. The county currently has 27 mentors, but 10 more mentors are needed. To start the process of becoming a mentor, email Mike Wiles at Mike.Wiles@marshallcountytn.com.
Lewisburg's Director of Economic Development Greg Lowe announced CKNA has donated $50,000 for improvements at Rock Creek Park.
Lowe also talked about bringing new industries to Lewisburg. He said a Canadian company will be purchasing a building in Lewisburg, and this new business will bring in 72 jobs.
He is currently working on setting up a program with Spot Lowe Technology Center to give students the option to graduate with a certification qualifying them to work in production at local factories. Another project on Lowe's agenda is bringing a sit-down restaurant to Lewisburg that will keep Marshall County's people shopping and eating local.
Other announcements at the JECDB meeting included:
* Five new Welcome to Lewisburg signs will be put up around town
* On Sept. 19 and 20, Henry Horton State Park will host the Step Back in Time event from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day.
* District 3 County Commissioner Anna Childress distributed fliers for a Community Health Event for men to be held Saturday, Sept. 27 from 9 a.m. to noon at the George W. Turner Center, 741 Silver Street, Lewisburg.
* On Oct. 7, the Chamber of Commerce will host an Industry Day Lunch and Learn. Contact Ritaanne Weaver or visit the new Marshall County Events Calendar at www.marshallcountytn.events. On this website you can also add an event by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The next JECDB meeting will be held at Marshall Medical Center on Dec. 9.