FMS Rockets blast Fayetteville

Friday, October 31, 2014
Ty Hengesbach (5) drains the first of three treys in the contest for the Rockets, who blasted Fayetteville 58-27 Monday night in Chapel Hill. Tribune photos by Anthony S. Puca

The FMS Rockets continued their torrid start to the season, blasting Fayetteville 58-27 Monday night in Chapel Hill.

Forrest went to the long ball game versus the Tigers, knocking down nine three-pointers in the contest, including four treys in the first quarter.

After a Ryley McClaran drive to the hoop to open the scoring, Ty Hengesbach threw down the first of the long bombs in the game for the Rockets.

Far ahead

A Daniil Yatskov rebound and put-back made it seven-zip FMS and after a Tiger miscue, Dylan Jones came up with a three-point play the old fashioned way, upping the score to 10-0.

Another Fayetteville turnover was followed by a three-point shot by Josh Meglis, forcing a Tiger timeout with 3:15 remaining in the opening stanza.

The stoppage did not change things as Fayetteville coughed up the rock again and McClaran made them pay for their error, raining down a long three-bomb from the top of the key, making it a 16-0 ballgame.

Fayetteville finally got on the board with 2:15 left to play in the quarter when Charves Williams knocked home a three-pointer for the Tigers.

More treys

Meglis followed with another trey from the wing and moments later, Yatskov blocked a Tiger shot and fed Hengesbach on the run for a lay-up, giving the Rockets a 21-3 lead.

Ryley McClaran (10) drops a bomb from the top of the key, giving Forrest a 16-0 first quarter lead.

A McClaran fast-break lay-up ended the first quarter scoring as the Rockets were in complete control 23-3.

A Hengesbach three-pointer on the Rockets' first touch of the second period increased their lead 23 points and after several unsuccessful trips in the scoring area by both squads, Sam Ford scored in the paint for FMS, making it 28-3.

Fayetteville finally got on a hot streak, staying in the game with a 9-0 run to end the first half, but Forrest still maintained a comfortable 28-12 lead, heading into the third period.

Third quarter

The Rockets started the second half on a basket by Yatskov in the paint, but Williams came up with a trey to make it 30-15.

Over the next several minutes, Yatskov scored six and Dylan Jones netted one basket in the low post for the Rockets, who increased their lead to 38-15 before Williams scored again for the Tigers.

A single free throw by Hengesbach added one more point to the FMS total and after a McClaran steal, Meglis rained down a rainbow three-pointer, giving the Rockets a 25-point lead at 42-17.

Colton Wiseman got on the board for Fayetteville, but Hengesbach answered with his final three-pointer of the night as Forrest entered the final six minutes of play, leading 45-21.

Final period

Cole Villazon got into the long ball act for the Rockets, knocking down a trey to begin a 6-0 run by Forrest in the final period.

The Tigers would score moments later and once again FMS answered with an airmail delivery, this time by Spencer McGowen, who drilled the final three-pointer of the night for the Rockets (7-3), who cruised to the 28-point win.

Hengesbach led the Rockets in scoring with 14 points, including three treys in the contest.

Meglis scored all nine of his points on three-bombs, Yatskov netted eight points, McClaran had seven points (1 trey), Villazon came up with a half dozen (1 trey), Jones scored five points, Tyler Wildrick chipped in with four points, McGowen rained down one three-pointer, and Ford rounded out the Rockets' scoring with a deuce.

Williams led all scorers in the contest with 15 points for Fayetteville.