Another quilt is added to the Trail
By Ivory Riner
The Chamber of Commerce, Hardison Annex, a barn on Highway 64, the Historic 1st Avenue Building, and the Abner Houston Log Cabin now all have something in common -- they all display large painted quilts.
The Abner Houston Log Cabin received its barn quilt on Thursday, Oct. 30. The artist of the quilt was Linda Gupton, who also designed the quilts displayed at the Historic 1st Avenue Building and at the Athenaeum in Columbia.
The Abner Houston log cabin, located on Cornersville Road, is the only remaining room of the Abner Houston home which was located on Haynes Street across from the First Baptist Church in Lewisburg.
The first county court meeting, to organize Marshall County in October 1834, was held in this cabin. Abner Houston went on to give 50 acres to the commissioners, on which the city of Lewisburg was built.
The late Dr. and Mrs. Robert D. Crutcher II purchased the land with the cabin on the property, and they used the cabin for a garage. In 1957 the Crutcher family donated the cabin to the Robert Lewis Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution. A committee of three very ambitious ladies -- Mrs. William Murrey, Mrs. William Alford and Mrs. Sam Linton -- raised funds for dismantling, moving, and rebuilding of the log cabin at its present location at the fork of Cornersville Road and Yell Road. The cabin was completed and the dedication ceremony was held on Oct. 3, 1957, with the late Gov. Jim McCord giving the principal address. The late Gov. Buford Ellington also spoke at that time. At that time, Ellington was Commissioner of Agriculture. Later, when he was governor, with his influence, the Robert Lewis Chapter secured a 99-year lease on the land the cabin now stands on, which belongs to the state.
As a Bicentennial project, the Robert Lewis Chapter DAR members erected a bronze marker on a limestone rock, honoring the patriots of the American Revolutionary War who lived and died in Marshall County. Later, a second bronze marker was added with more names.
Each year the Robert Lewis Chapter observes Flag Dag at the Log Cabin in the Memorial Park which open to the public. The cabin will be on the Rotary Club Home Tour in December this year. Dixie Waters, Mary Ann Roberts, Barbara Jones, and Beverly McLain are the Log Cabin committee members.
To present the quilt, an invocation was led by Bonnie Scheuchenzuber, mother of the Tribune's sports reporter, Louis Scheuchenzuber. The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Barbara Jones; history of the cabin was provided by Beverly McLain; and the quilt square story was given by Dixie Waters.
Susan Hunter, Marshall County school board member for the 7th district, presented the mission of the quilt trail on behalf of Andrea Northcutt, who is the director of the Southern Middle Tennessee Resource Conservation and Development Council for Marshall, Lawrence, Giles, Lincoln, Franklin, Coffee, Bedford, Moore, and Maury Counties.
The mission of the SMTRCDC Quilt Trail is to promote and celebrate the unique agricultural, historical and cultural experiences of the nine counties. Agri-tourism, art, historical architecture, economic development, and cultural identity are the goals and objectives of the quilt trail.
Old fashioned refreshments -- molasses cookies and cold cider -- were served.