FMS Rockets hold off Vikings

Friday, November 21, 2014
Josh Meglis (20) nails the first of his two 3-pointers in the Rockets' 42-24 win at Community Thursday night. Photos by Anthony S. Puca

The FMS Rockets looked like they would cruise to an easy win in Unionville Thursday night, jumping out to a big first quarter lead before fending off a Viking comeback to win going away 42-24, remaining unbeaten in conference play.

Forrest (15-4, 11-0) went to work early versus the Vikings as Daniil Yatskov scored two consecutive baskets, following his own shots in the paint.

On his second low post field goal, Yatskov was fouled and converted a three-point play to make it 5-0.

Heavy pressure

The Rockets pressed hard and pressed often on defense and it paid off when Ty Hengesbach swiped the rock and fed Josh Meglis, who drained a 3-pointer from the corner, making it 8-0 FMS.

After a tie-up at the other end was awarded to Community, Yatskov swiped the rock and went the distance for lay-up, opening up a 10-0 lead for the Rockets.

The Vikings finally got on the board at the 1:42 mark of the initial period when Lane Stacey stole the ball from Forrest and scored.

Yatskov would hit two more free throws moments later, but Community got one point back on a Zachary Long charity shot.

Meglis knocked down a jumper for FMS and the first quarter ended on a Grayson Garette basket, making it a 14-5 ballgame.

Zac Monroe tallied the first bucket of the second period for Unionville before Meglis rained home a long bomb to give Forrest a 17-7 lead.

Viking comeback

The Vikings dug in and mounted a comeback, outscoring the Rockets 6-0 over the next several minutes to get within four points of FMS at 17-13.

A Tyler Wildrick bucket in the paint for Forrest broke the Community run and it was also the last basket of the first half as the Rockets took a six-point lead to the locker room.

Dylan Jones (21) hauled down 16 rebounds as the Rockets controlled the glass all night in their big 42-24 victory over the Vikings.

In what has been a continuing trend, Hengesbach drilled a 3-pointer to begin the second half, reigniting the Rockets' offense.

After one Dylan Jones free throw for FMS, Tyrese Eady and Yatskov traded baskets, making it 25-15 and after several possessions, Jones muscled his way for a rebound and was fouled.

Jones, who was a monster on the glass with 16 rebounds in the contest, connected on the ensuing free throw to give the Rockets a 26-15 lead.

Yatskov and Eady went for two more each before Langley nailed one charity toss for the Vikings.

Huge shot

Ryley McClaran, coming off an illness, got well when he threw down a rainbow three-bomb, stretching the FMS lead to 31-18, entering the final six minutes of action in Unionville.

Daniel Yatskov (30) scored a game-high 15 points in Unionville Thursday night.

Hengesbach and McClaran swished a pair of free throws each early in the fourth quarter, while the Vikings lit the lamp for the first time in the period on a Jacob Franz basket.

After scoring his final basket of the night, Yatskov went to the bench moments later.

Garette twisted in a basket in the lane for Community for the Vikings, who would score their last basket of the contest before Joel Burton knocked home a long range missile for the Rockets and the game concluded on a Sam Ford vintage basket.

Yatskov led all scorers in the contest with 15 points and hauled down nine rebounds, while Meglis added eight points, Hengesbach and McClaran posted five points apiece, Burton had the one trey, and Jones and Wildrick netted a deuce apiece.

Eady had eight points to lead the Vikings in the scoring column, while Garette had four, Langley netted three points, and Monroe, Stacey, and Franz all had two points.