Rockets outlast Eagleville

Wednesday, December 10, 2014
FMS's Ryley McClaran (10) ices the game from the free throw line for the Rockets, who travelled to Eagleville on Thursday, coming away with a six-point win to remain unbeaten in conference play. Photos by Anthony S. Puca

The FMS Rockets remained unbeaten in conference play on the season thanks to a gutsy 38-32 win over a determined Eagleville squad Thursday night in Rutherford County.

Forrest moved to 14-0 in Duck River Valley Conference play, two games up on Liberty (12-2) with four conference games remaining at press time.

Dylan Jones opened the scoring for the Rockets on the game's initial possession before Eagleville took the air out the ball, holding it for two and half minutes before an errant pass went out of bounds.

They didn't try it again.

Tight score

Jones hit one free throw at the other end, but Ethan Cobb got two points back for the Eagles on a pair of charity shots.

A missed shot and a turnover by the Rockets led to four more points by Cobb, giving the Eagles a 6-3 lead.

The lead seesawed back to the Rockets on two free throws by Ryley McClaran and a Daniil Yatskov bucket in the low post.

Another Eagleville missed shot and a Ty Hengesbach breakaway basket made it a 9-6 contest before Bryson Kelley drilled a buzzer-beating 3-pointer for Eagleville, tying the game at 9-9 after the first six minutes.

One Cobb free throw gave Eagleville a short-lived lead when Hengesbach scored again for FMS.

There was no scoring over the next several minutes until Hengesbach threw down a long bomb, making it 14-10.

Ty Hengesbach (5) runs the show for the Rockets, who beat Eagleville 38-32 Thursday night.

Halftime lead

Cody Pepper broke the Eagleville cold streak, but Jones scored in the paint prior to an Eagleville timeout with 2:26 remaining in the first half.

Ethan Hurst scored a couple of possessions later for Eagleville before McClaran heated up with two free throws after a drive to the hoop and the seventh-grader ended the first half in style, draining a long 3-pointer to give the visiting Rockets a 21-14 halftime lead.

Early in the third quarter, Cobb would cut the FMS lead to four points at 23-19 before a Yatskov steal and score, followed by a McClaran basket, upped the Forrest lead back to eight points.

Cobb and Jones traded baskets at the end of the third quarter, giving the Rockets a 29-21 lead, entering the final six minutes of play in Eagleville.

Ahead to stay

FMS kept trying to put the game away, holding on to an eight-point lead with 2:16 remaining in the game before Eagleville stormed back, slicing the margin in half with 57.7 seconds left.

McClaran would make four out of four from the free throw line down the stretch for the Rockets, securing the six-point win for the Rockets.

McClaran led the Rockets with 16 points in the game, while Jones and Hengesbach scored nine points apiece, and Yatskov had four.

Cobb led all scorers in the game with 19 points, Joseph Davenport had four, Kelley netted three, and Hurst, Pepper, and Ivie Burns ended up with a deuce apiece for Eagleville.