4 BRIDGE DEDICATIONS
Marshall County held the official naming ceremonies recently for four county bridges that the County Commission approved last year.
Family and friends gathered at each of the bridges to honor those honored as the signage naming each bridge was unveiled.
White---A bridge on Craig Moore Road was named in honor of Henry A. White. White owned a machine business for many years and served his community as a county commissioner, president of the Lions Club, and Sunday School superintendent at First United Methodist Church for more than 40 years, among many other positions.
Hopkins----A bridge on New Lake Road was named after not one, but two, members of the Hopkins family who have owned a farm on the road for several generations. R. Preston Hopkins Jr. served as mayor of Lewisburg from 1961 to 1963 and was involved in the establishment of the Lewisburg Recreation Center and the Lewisburg Housing Authority. He was a charter member of both the Lions Club and the Elks Club and served on the board of directors for First National Bank. His son, Robert P. “Bob” Hopkins III, is a current member of the County Commission and served as the county’s Director of Emergency Management from 1988 until 2014. He was instrumental in the expansion of the county’s rural volunteer fire departments.
Wortham---A bridge over Snake Creek on Finley Beech Road was named after Command Sergeant Major Allen B. Wortham. Working as a manufacturing supervisor for many years, Wortham enlisted in the Army National Guard in 1951, serving for 42 years and earning numerous wards and decorations.
Finley---A bridge over Globe Creek on Fitzpatrick Road was named for Bobby Gene Finley. An Air Force veteran, Finley was a mechanical engineer with the space program for many years before purchasing his beloved farm where he raised beef and dairy cattle.