The Mayberry Boys
Photo courtesy of Sidney Mayberry
J. B. Mayberry was one of the first African Americans in Lewisburg who owned a business. Mr. Mayberry’s first business, located off the square next to the old jail, was a pool room and cafe type establishment which was referred to as “The Dump.” Not only was Mr. J. B. a businessman, but also a butler for the bachelor’s club in Lewisburg, janitor at the Walking Horse Breeders Association, and worked for Dr. J. C. Leonard and Mr. Phil Alford.
In 1951, J. B. Mayberry opened Mayberry Funeral Home, which is still in business today. Mr. Mayberry’s mission as a funeral director was to provide families with economical and dignified funeral services.
Mr. Mayberry later became an elder at Second Avenue Church of Christ. He encouraged people of all ages to love and trust our heavenly Savior, Jesus Christ.
This photo was taken in April, 1930, inside “The Dump” which was a pool room and cafe owned by J. B. Mayberry. Pictured are the following: unknown male, Ray Mayberry, Bill Mayberry, Papa Ben Mayberry, and Buster Mayberry. These men were known as the Mayberry Boys.